Paralegal – Estate Administration
Position Location: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Thompson Law, P.C. is an established, estate planning law firm in Sioux Falls whose mission is to provide families with quality estate planning resources. Our firm helps families preserve their wealth for future generations, minimize estate taxes and avoid the expense of extended probate. We also help clients preserve their financial wealth through Legacy Planning, a holistic approach to estate planning where life stories and family heirlooms are prepared for future generations. Our law firm specializes in estate planning assistance for the unique needs of Family Business and Farms.
Thompson Law is a great place to work for those who enjoy a family friendly environment where serving the clients’ needs is the highest priority. It is a busy office where each staff member is valued and relied upon for team success. Career growth is encouraged and opportunities are available for those who have the desire to succeed.
Position Summary: The Estate Administration Paralegal will have regular and frequent interactions with families after the death of loved ones. This person is responsible for assisting the attorney in all aspects of administrating trusts and estates.
Responsibilities include the following:
- Pleasantly and professionally serve clients and their families acting at all times in good faith and in the interests of the trustees and personal representatives.
- Inventory financial and real estate assets.
- Accurately bill clients for services.
- File court documents for probates, guardianships and conservatorships.
- Prepare and file deeds.
- Prepare letters and documents.
- Communicate with clients on the progression of estate administration.
- Research issues relating to trust assets, administration and other legal documents.
- Assist in the preparation of federal and state estate tax returns.
- Perform the duties of a Notary Public of the State of South Dakota.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment.
- Competent with technology including extensive knowledge of Microsoft Word, Outlook & Excel.
- Respect for confidentiality.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Diligent attention to details, priorities, deadlines and follow-through.
- Ability to manage multiple, overlapping tasks.
- Desire and ability to work on a successful team.
Preference will be given to applicants with a background in financial planning or accounting and/or proven Trust Administration experience. Familiarity with investment assets and taxes is a plus.